Sunday, March 17, 2013

New LGDs?

These are our new puppies. In the back, named for the holiday is Patrick. Not St. Patrick, just Patrick. In the front, on the left is Baby; the brown one is Amidala (Ami for short). Let your 9-yr old name it and that's what you get… Star Wars character. Coulda been worse. If it was a boy, it's name would have been Chewbacca. They almost six weeks old, American mutts.
These are OUTSIDE dogs. I've built an enclosure for them. We're hoping they work well as goat protectors, or LGDs (Livestock Guard Dogs).

I've started laying out the fence pieces. I'm still going to need another 15 or so, just to get this closed in. It's not as large as I plan it to be upon completion, but it's enough to keep two goats. The area will start our about 160 square feet. It'll measure about 40' per side. Hoping for a couple of goats in April.


 
 
I was going for April/May but I want the new dogs to get used to there being goats near them.

Enjoy the Day!
Erik

4 comments:

  1. Awww, they are so cute! I'm sure they will be great for taking care of goats. And btw, LOVE the name Amidala!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. They are VERY cute. I constantly remind myself they are to be working dogs and need to stay outside, no matter how loving they are.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete