Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Finished "Get Your Goat"

About ten days after receiving "Get Your Goat" by Brent Zimmerman as a gift from my wife, I've finished it for the first time. I anticipate this will be one of the books that I come back to, just for the overview and stories provided by the author. I think it's good to re-read reference books. My mind tends to wander, and while I'll read all the words, I might not allow them to sink in to my brain for future reference. Either that or my children will interrupt me and I will forget what it is that I read, four times, in three minutes... and then just press on because, "darn it. i'm going to get past this paragraph if it kills me."
"Get Your Goat" was a nice overview, but a bit short on detail. It does have a very nice section explaining the different types of goats, meat, dairy and fiber. It is hardly and exhausted list, but it gives you a good idea. Wikipedia's entry on goats indicates there are over 300 breeds. Another wiki page lists the use of almost 70, still less than a third of the breeds that walk this great planet of ours.
Again, the book was very good and I (who knows very little about goats at this point) would recommend it to someone in the same mind frame, that of I Want To Know More! While my wife paid retail for it, as it was published in 2012, perhaps someone else might find it in a used bookstore somewhere for just a couple of dollars.
The rain, which has kept me in the house, has moved on for the time being, though current radar is not promising, the forecast does not call for rain. I hope to test the newly repaired/tuned-up chainsaw this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment